Consider making a donation to the Ottawa Tool Library. As a registered non-profit, every dollar we raise goes back into our community space and success of our library.
Mondays 6pm – 9pm
Wednesdays 6pm – 9pm
Saturdays 10am – 1pm
Phone number: 613-868-0178
(only answered during opening hours, no voicemail)
Come in! We are open…
Come in! We are open…
Repair don’t toss! Swap, don’t shop!
Bring clothing or textiles in need of repair, and learn how to sew, darn, felt, and patch your way back to useable clothing through one-on-one and hands-on demonstrations. Browse used clothing and yarn/knitting supplies while you wait at the concurrent swap event, and bring your own unwanted items to contribute.
First come, first fixed! All welcome to take part in the swap and watch demonstrations, without bringing items to fix.
Due to limited space, please bring only one item per person. Remember to bring the right color of thread or yarn, buttons, zippers and any other replacement parts you might need to mend your item! If you want to bring more than one item, you will first register one item, learn to fix it, and then register a second item, time permitting.
- no limit to how much you can bring or take, but no hoarding of items or taking items to sell later.
- items will be loosely sorted into type, youth/children, infants, accessories, footwear, linens/housewear and outerwear – please help us out by place your items accordingly when you arrive or directing one of the volunteers as to where items belong.
- items should be relatively clean – from storage is okay as long as there are no strong odours or other storage related issues.
- damaged items are okay to bring.
- leftover items will be repurposed or donated to charity.
- bring a bag or two (or more) to take home your items.
- bags can be left in the designated “claimed” area during browsing/repairs – do not remove items from other people’s bags.
If you just want to swap, you may register for a free ticket. To take part in the Learn to Mend part of the evening, tickets are $5 and limited, get yours soon.
If you haven’t been to the tool library, be sure to check out the directions and accessibility information here. We’re kinda tricky to find. ;)