We’re seeking a passionate neighbour, creative mind, talented organizer, and awesome human being for our Membership Coordinator volunteer position.
The Ottawa Tool Library provides members with the ability to borrow from an extensive inventory of hand and power tools. Members pay an annual fee, may borrow as many tools as they want during the year, and can get tool and project advice from experienced OTL volunteers. Members also receive a discount on workshops, training and access to our workspace.
The Ottawa Tool Library is run almost entirely by volunteers and is seeking a volunteer willing to join the core team to coordinate our membership program. This is a volunteer position and is not paid. All of our active volunteers receive a free OTL membership.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend monthly core team meetings to report on news, issues, opportunities and ideas to attract and support the members;
- Design with the core team a membership recruitment strategy to increase the number of members and oversee its implementation, including monitoring and reporting of results;
- Proactively seek to retain existing members, renew lapsed members, and conduct surveys and/or exit interviews to help inform future efforts to maintain and grow the membership;
- Address inquiries from members about their privileges or concerns;
- Develop regular communications to all members regarding promotions, programming or new tools available for loan ensuring current members feel engaged and valued; and
- Seek to engage members to be full participants in the OTL community by sharing stories, project ideas, photos of completed projects, recommendations for improvement and to support the promotion of the library in the community.
Note that the processing of memberships is either done by Tool Librarians or online and is therefore not the responsibility of the membership coordinator.
- Strong belief in the mission and mandate of the Ottawa Tool Library;
- Ability to commit 10-16 hours per month;
- Ability to interact well with people of all backgrounds;
- Skills to manage a membership program (data analysis, troubleshooting, strategic development); and
- Strong English speaking and writing skills. Bilingualism is an asset.
Our management or “core” team consists of numerous coordinators who are responsible for major portfolios within the organization. It is active in making decisions about the operations of the tool lending library and the related services, outreach, and staffing. The core team virtually meets once a month in meetings that are facilitated by the one full time staff member at the OTL. The core team members are active workers at the OTL and oversee the activities in their designated area of operations.
If you are interested in this exciting and key role, please send an email by December 1, 2023 to email@example.com with a cover letter (or link to a short video of yourself!) explaining why you’d be interested in volunteering for this position, along with your current CV.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those further considered for this position will be contacted.
The Ottawa Tool Library is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community. In recognizing traditional and systemic barriers to participation, we especially welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, people of colour, members of the LGBTQ2+ community, as well as those with visible and invisible disabilities and others.