Repair Café Coordinator
The mission of the Ottawa Tool Library (OTL) is to engage and empower the community to participate in sharing resources by providing access to tools and skills for everybody.
Repair Cafés are events where guests bring in broken and torn household items and meet one-on-one with a fixer to get them repaired. The goals of Repair Cafés include increasing practical skills, reducing waste, and growing community connections.
As part of the Ottawa Tool Library’s project “Repair Cafés – Practical Skill Sharing for Seniors”, the Repair Café Coordinator will organize monthly Repair Cafés for OTL and recruit seniors to volunteer at these events. The Repair Café Coordinator will work part-time, approximately 30hrs/month with a flexible schedule, for the duration of the project.
Note: The Coordinator must attend each Repair Café, which is a full-day event usually occurring on a weekend.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Organize and run 8 Repair Cafés (approximately one per month for the length of the project) including:
- Recruit 10-15 seniors per Repair Café to act as fixers, and 5-10 seniors per Repair Café to perform other volunteer tasks;
- Recruit other volunteers, as needed, for the Repair Cafés;
- Coordinate and manage all volunteers for the Repair Cafés;
- Ensure that the senior volunteers and other volunteers receive a meaningful volunteering experience;
- Assist with marketing and promotional campaigns for Repair Cafés, including coordination with OTL’s social media and communications team;
- Engage and partner with community groups in the Ottawa area that work with seniors to recruit volunteers and promote the Repair Cafés and OTL;
- Create and implement a survey questionnaire to measure the success of the Repair Cafés;
- Manage, in coordination with the OTL’s Executive Director, the finances for the project; and
- Complete reports, as needed, on the progress of the project
- Experience doing volunteer coordination
- Experience in event planning
- Comfortable using various kinds of office related software and social media platforms
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Organized and takes initiative
- Effectively self-manage schedule and set priorities
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- A friendly and engaging personality
- Experience working with seniors
- Good communication skills in French
- Marketing/promotions experience
- Interest in or knowledge of tools, the maker’s movement, or environmental sustainability practices
- Ability to lift up to 15 kg
Start date: June 2019
End date: 13 May 2020
Pay Rate: $20-22/hr, depending on experience
Hours: 30 hrs/month
including attendance at 1 Repair Café/month, which is a full day event occurring on a weekend
Schedule: the Repair Café Coordinator may set their own schedule in coordination with the Executive Director, but must be present at each Repair Café
Application deadline: 19 May 2019 at midnight
When you submit your application, be sure to include a letter outlining what motivates you about organizing Repair Cafés in Ottawa and why you’re a good fit for this position.
Send applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ottawa Tool Library is committed to an equitable hiring process. We welcome the opportunity to work collaboratively with applicants in increasing accessibility throughout this process. In recognizing traditional and systemic barriers to employment, we especially welcome applications from women, people of colour, trans and non-binary people, Indigenous peoples, those with visible and invisible disabilities and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and our team.