Membership & Outreach Coordinator
The Ottawa Tool Library is pleased to announce that we’re hiring a summer position thanks to the Canada Summer Jobs program.
This frontline position will see you interacting with members and other people, you will need to be comfortable wearing a mask at all times and following all Covid-19 protocols to ensure the safety of all.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director of the Ottawa Tool Library (OTL) the Membership and Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for developing a membership drive and volunteer recruitment strategy.
The specific responsibilities include:
- reviewing and assessing the current membership demographics
- reviewing, revising, developing and compiling promotional materials for display, circulation, and marketing of the OTL and enrollment of memberships and volunteers
- promoting the OTL memberships and associated OTL workshops, camps, and events to prospective members and participants with specific prioritization of community outreach to vulnerable and underserved groups
- development, implementation and coordination of the collection of feedback/evaluation data from members satisfaction surveys
- compiling evaluation data for review and revision of OTL membership and volunteer recruitment promotional material
- working our front desk once per week to get a solid understanding of our members and their needs
- identifying and researching virtual and in-person events in collaboration with our events coordinator to promote the OTL
- recruiting and scheduling volunteers to support and promote the OTL at these events
- the development of a Membership and Volunteer recruitment resource kit with documents/forms/flyers, and a database/bank of marketing contacts, recurring events and recommended outreach opportunities for on-going recruitment.
IMPORTANT: The above responsibilities may be adjusted as the pandemic situation develops.
The Membership and Outreach Coordinator will develop and compile promotional materials highlighting the numerous benefits of OTL membership and identify and attend community events and groups to connect with new prospective members and volunteers. Our tool library has a bicycle trailer and it is anticipated that the Membership and Outreach Coordinator will use this as a mobile information booth to raise awareness about the OTL.
With support from the Executive Director, Volunteer Coordinator, and the OTL Events Coordinator, the Membership and Outreach Coordinator will plan and coordinate volunteer involvement in a variety of diverse OTL outreach events and opportunities.
The Membership and Outreach Coordinator will develop and enhance direct outreach relationships with OTL’s network of partner organizations such as: newcomers to Canada (OCISO, etc.), Indigenous peoples (Wabano, etc.), seniors (Council on Aging, etc.), visible minorities (613/819 Black Hub, etc.), members of the LGBTQ2 community (KindSpace, etc.) and children/youth (Boys and Girls Club, Youth Action Now, etc.).
This position will also support the Workshop and Events Coordinator with event promotion through social media and engage in outreach to ensure that the planned events reach and engage a diverse audience.
- solid background in marketing and developing promotional campaigns
- graphic design experience
- experienced in community building and working collaboratively
- comfortable using various kinds of MS-Office related software and social media platforms (twitter, IG, FB, reddit, etc.)
- excellent communications skills including public speaking in English
- solid experience in writing instructions
- organized and takes initiative
- can effectively self-manage schedule and set priorities
- ability to work independently as well as in a team
- a friendly and engaging personality, preferably with experience in a hospitality, customer service, or public facing role
- ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and some weekends is a must
- Previous volunteer coordination experience
- Bi- or multilingual
- Experience volunteering or working for non-profit organizations
- 15 to 30 years of age
- Located at 877A Boyd Ave. Accessible by public transit.
- Open concept working space.
- The library itself is lit from above by LED lighting with some windows.
- On premises is a single washroom large enough for many mobility devices, but not built to code for true accessibility, also shared with other tenant.
- Shared kitchen space with full fridge, sink, and microwave.
- Concrete floors.
- Manual doors.
- No steps to get into the Ottawa Tool Library
- Due to the nature of the shared workspace, the library is subject to intermittent loud noises, some vapors, and dust.
- Sitting or standing for long periods of time on concrete floor
- Ability to lift up to 15 kg
Start date: June 2021
End date: 14 weeks after commencement
Pay Rate: $16/hr (plus 4% vacation pay)
Hours: 20 hrs/week, on average.
There may be weeks with less hours and some with more than 20hr/week due to changing Covid-19 restrictions.
Application deadline: 16 May 2021 at midnight
Submit to: email@example.com
In your cover letter, let us know why you want to work at OTL and what makes you a great fit for this position. We welcome cover letters in untraditional formats including short videos or other media. 😉
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Ottawa Tool Library is committed to an equitable hiring process. We welcome the opportunity to work collaboratively with applicants in increasing accessibility throughout this process. In recognizing traditional and systemic barriers to employment, we especially welcome applications from women, people of colour, trans and non-binary people, Indigenous peoples, those with visible and invisible disabilities and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and our team.