Following the announcement by the Province of Ontario to permit certain businesses to reopen as of May 4th, the OTL has decided to resume lending tools while adopting specific public health measures to operate safely during the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
New! Reservation & Curbside Pickup Changes
In order to serve as many members as possible, we will no longer take tool reservations and assign pickup times as of June 6th. Instead, we will be admitting members to the OTL in limited numbers.
New! Borrowing & Returns at the OTL
In keeping with guidance from the Province of Ontario, as of June 6th the OTL will again welcome members into the OTL while still taking appropriate precautions to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (COVID-19). When visiting the OTL, we ask that you:
For the moment, we will be open only on Saturdays, but hope to further increase our hours soon as we refine our processes and can involve more volunteers back into our operations.
To protect our members and volunteers during this period, we have adopted the following precautions against the novel coronavirus (COVID-19):
- The number of people in the OTL will be limited to permit adequate physical distancing.
- Volunteers will regularly wash or disinfect hands and wear gloves when handling tools.
- Only a single volunteer is permitted behind the front desk, protected by a plexiglass barrier.
- All visitors will wear non-medical facemasks when at the OTL.
- All touch surfaces in the OTL (door handles, padlocks, keyboards, tablets, etc.) will be disinfected after each shift.
- All returned tools will be sanitized and remain in quarantine for at least 72 hours before lending (per WHO guidance on plastic and metal surfaces).
- The OTL WorkSpace will remain closed until further notice.
Public Health Guidance
For the safety of our members and volunteers, we also ask that you follow the direction of public health authorities. Please stay home and do not visit the OTL if:
- You have any symptoms of novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- You have been in physical contact with anyone exhibiting symptoms.
- You have traveled outside of Canada in the past 14 days.
- You or someone in your household is particularly vulnerable to novel coronavirus (COVID-19) due to advanced age or a compromised immune system.
Nevertheless, all public interactions during this period may raise your risk of exposure to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Members and volunteers visiting the OTL in any capacity do so at their own risk.
In the event that you have borrowed tools and have a presumptive or confirmed case of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) in your household, please inform us as soon as possible. We can arrange to extend the loan period for tools, quarantine any returned tools, and advise our volunteers and members about any possible exposure. Your personal information will remain confidential.
Frequently Asked Questions
We are following the latest public health guidance and scientific information regarding Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) from various levels of government. For more information, please consult the following: