Borrower’s Agreement on the Rules and Regulations of the Ottawa Tool Library
Last updated: October 2019
- Members must be age 18 or over to borrow tools from the Ottawa Tool Library (“OTL”).
- Prior to borrowing tools, all Members must (a) complete a Membership Application; (b) sign the Waiver and Indemnification Form; (c) sign this Borrower’s Agreement; and (d) have their residence confirmed by an OTL volunteer or member of the staff. Completing a Membership Application includes the completion of the Membership Application form and verification of the Member’s identity. Verifications of the Member’s identity is accomplished by presenting a valid government-issued photo ID and a second form of identification that includes a current address.
- OTL staff is available to assist in explaining operation of tools. However, by taking possession of any item, the Member is certifying that they are capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
- Only the Member is authorized to use OTL tools. The Member shall not permit the use of items checked out to them by any other person unless by express permission of OTL.
- Both power tools and hand tools can be borrowed at OTL for up to one week. OTL reserves the right to make some tools available for a borrowing period of longer or shorter than one week. Only a few special tools have a loan fee, i.e. planer, jointer, power washer etc. of $3 -5 per day
- All tools borrowed are to be returned to OTL during opening hours. If applicable, loan fees will be charged upon borrowing, based on the amount of days the member needs tool(s) for (up to one week).
- If a tool is returned late, the Member will be responsible for any incurred late fees. The fees are as follows: $1/day for hand tools, $2/day for power tools, and $10/day for our Special Tools. Late fees are capped at the full replacement cost of the tool plus a $15 administrative fee per tool. Late fees are subject to change. OTL may need to replace severely delinquent tools (tools that have not been returned within 30 days of their checkout), holding the Member responsible for the full replacement cost of the tool plus a $15 administrative fee. The replacement cost and the administrative fee must be paid in full before a Member may borrow additional tools.
- OTL reserves the right to use appropriate steps to retrieve delinquent tools or unpaid replacement costs and administrative fees, including the use of a collection agency and/or legal action. If such action is taken, OTL reserves the right to assess the delinquent Member with the cost of the action. OTL also reserves the right to forgive any costs or fees due to special circumstances, or to request partial payment thereof.
- OTL will try to accommodate any requests for reservations for tools in advance. The member must contact OTL for such a reservation request via phone. The Member will need to collect the reserved tool(s) the day they are available for pick up or the tool(s) will go back into inventory and will be signed out on a first-come, first-served basis.
- The Member agrees that OTL is not responsible for any manufacturing, material, or quality of workmanship defects of borrowed tools. OTL does not represent or warrant that any tool is fit for a particular purpose.
- OTL staff members and volunteers are available to assist in explaining the operation of tools. However, by taking possession of any tool, the Member is certifying that they are capable of using that tool in a safe, responsible, and prudent manner.
- The Member agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify OTL of the issue on return, if not earlier.
- All tools are to be returned in the same (or better) condition as they were issued, subject to normal wear and tear. All tools must be returned clean. The Member agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any tool or part thereof, and further agrees to accept OTL’s assessment of condition of items and to further agree to OTL’s assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency, and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount could equal the full replacement cost of the tool plus a $15 administrative fee.
- OTL reserves the right to refuse the loan of any tool at its discretion.
- The Member is responsible for ensuring that the information that they provide on the Membership Application is current, true, and correct and shall update this information if it changes. OTL reserves the right to verify information provided by a Member.